False Key Story and Poetry Contest Guidelines
this contest is proudly sponsored by the Howl at the Moon Writers Jam at Stuart Coffee Company in Stuart Florida
Grand prize winner(s)
- receive $25 cash and a False Key mug or t-shirt
- will be published in an upcoming False Key anthology.
Second and Third place winner(s) will be published online.
must be the island of False Key or surrounding waters. work must be original, unpublished, and in keeping with the spirit of the island. read Somewhere South of Sane for orientation.
submissions open Jan 1 and close Feb 1.
winners will be announced on March 17 at the Howl at the Moon Writers Jam in Stuart, Florida and on the Howl website. winners will be published online.
entrants may submit in both categories: the limit is one poem and one short story per person.
young authors are welcome – those under 18 require parental consent to enter.
we may edit pieces, often quite heavily, but contributors have the opportunity to approve or disapprove of editorial changes prior to publication. when a story is accepted for publication, we are buying first-publication rights. once we’ve published your story, you are free to, for instance, include it in your own collection or publish it on your own website. use of other authors’ characters in your story is subject to approval of the respective author. generally speaking, your characters can meet, but not eat ours.
to enter, read the rules in their entirety and use our convenient submission form. submitting work constitutes agreement with all the terms published here.
- purchase the book or ebook version of Somewhere South of Sane: More Stories from False Key (Volume 2) . you’ll submit proof of purchase as an image file or a pdf.
if you have the book already, we’ll accept a selfie of you with your copy!
please choose a category:
- short fiction.
(entrants who wish to submit in both categories will go through the process twice.)
format for all submissions:
- doc or docx file
- times New Roman 12 pt
- numbered pages
- title of work on each page
- please omit your name (and be sure to fill out the submission form accurately)
additional guidelines for short fiction:
- Word count for short fiction: 1,500 – 8,000.
- if your story is longer than 2,000 words, please submit a file of the first 2,000 words and a separate file of the whole story.
additional guidelines for poetry:
- suggested maximum length of three pages
- if your work contains unconventional spacing or formatting, publishing it may present challenges. poets may wish to use uniform alignment and moderate line length while composing their submission.
if you have read, understood, and agree with the above, you may continue to the…
thank you for letting us read your stories and poems!